||15 minutes + 40 minutes freezing
- 400 g (14 oz) rump steak, trimmed
- 200 g (7 oz) fresh thin round rice noodles
- 90 g (3 ¼ oz) bean sprouts
- ½ onion
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 30 Vietnamese mint leaves
- 2 spring onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 small white onion, sliced thinly
- 1 small red chilli, sliced thinly
- pinch white pepper, ground
- Gently wrap the meat in plastic and freeze for 30 - 40 minutes
- Slice the meat thinly across the grain.
- In a large heavy saucepan, place the stock with half of onion,
star anise , fish sauce, cinnamon stick white pepper and 2 cups of
- Bring to boil over high heat.
- Switch the heat to medium - low, cover and simmer for 20
- Remove the onion, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Meanwhile, cover the noodles with boiling water and gently
- Drain and refresh with cold water. In the serving bowls, divide
the noodles and spring onion.
- Place equal amount of beef, bean sprouts, mint chilli and onion
- Ladle the mixture on the shimmering broth.
- Serve immediately.