Chicken and Noodle Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 400 g (14 oz) chicken breast fillets
- 375 g (13 oz) Shanghai noodles
- 155 g (5 ½ oz) sliced asparagus about 3 cm (1 ¼ inch) length
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz) watercress, remove the tips and stems
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon julienned ginger
- 4 slices ginger about 5 mm (¼ inch) thick
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
- 4 spring onions (scallions), white and some green parts, sliced
- light soy sauce, extra, to serve
- In a large saucepan, place the stock and bring to the boil over
- Switch the heat from medium to low, add the chicken, star anise
and ginger slices.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until chicken is well cooked.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and allow to cool.
- Remove the star anise and ginger, reserving the stock in the
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan bring 8 cups of water to boil.
- Cook the noodles for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Drain right away and rinse with cold water to refresh.
- Cut the chicken into 5 mm (¼ inch) slices.
- Bring the stock to the boil over high heat.
- Add the rice wine, asparagus, julienned ginger, soy sauce, sugar
and ½ teaspoon salt, stirring to mix.
- Switch the heat to medium, add the noodles and simmer for 2
- Bring back the chicken to the pan and cook for another 1 minute
or until heated through.
- Remove the noodles gently using tongs.
- Divide into 6 serving bowls.
- Spoon the chicken, spring onion, asparagus and watercress into
- Ladle the stock and sprinkle with sesame oil and serve.
- You may add extra soy sauce to taste.