||30 minutes + 10 minutes soaking
||4 - 6
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 - 6 small fresh red chillies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 candlenuts or macadamia nuts
- 3 stems lemon grass (white part only), sliced
- ¼ cup oil
- 400 g (14 oz) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2 cm (¾ inch) pieces
- 2 - 3 teaspoons shrimp paste, roasted
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 fresh makrut (kaffir) lime leaves
- 90 g (3 ¼ oz) bean sprouts
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- lime wedges, to serve
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh Vietnamese mint
- 250 g (9 oz) dried rice vermicelli
- 20 g (2/3 cup) fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 4 fried tofu puffs, julienned
- In a dry saucepan, roast the coriander and cumin seeds for 1 - 2
minutes over medium heat.
- Toss the pan constantly to prevent from burning.
- Finely grind in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder
- In a food processor or blender place all the spices,
onion, ginger, lemon grass, candlenuts, shrimp and chillies.
- Add ½ cup of stock and blend finely until paste.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil gently over low heat and cook
the paste for 3-5 minutes.
- Stirring thoroughly to prevent sticking and burning.
- Add the remaining stock and bring to the boil over high heat.
Switch the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken and simmer for 4 - 5 minutes or until
- Add the coconut milk, lime leaves, fish sauce, lime juice and
palm sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes over medium - low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and
soak for 6 - 7 minutes, or until softened.
- Drain and divide among large serving bowls with the bean
- Ladle the hot soup over the top and garnish with some strips,
tofu, mint and coriander leaves.
- Serve with a wedge of lime.