Chilli Salt Squid and Cellophane Noodle Salad
||30 minutes + 30 minutes soaking + 15 minutes
- 250 g (9 oz) dried mung bean vermicelli
- 90 g (3 ¼ oz) trimmed bean sprouts
- ¾ kg (1 lb) squid tubes, cleaned
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, seeded and cut into batons
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, dry roasted
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of rice flour
- ½ cup plain (all-purpose) flour, peanut oil, to deep-fry
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 lightly beaten, egg whites
- coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons of Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, light
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
- 1 teaspoon chilli garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- For the dressing place the dried shrimp in a small heatproof
bowl, add boiling water, cover and soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain and chop finely.
- Bring the shrimp back to the bowl, pour in the rice wine and
soak for another 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the black vinegar, soy sauce, chilli sauce,
spring onion and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, open the squid tubes, wash and pat dry with paper
- With the soft inside facing upwards, score a diamond pattern
using a small sharp knife.
- Cut the squid into 4 cm x 2.5 cm (1 ½ inch x 1 inch) pieces.
- Place into a flat non-metallic dish. Pour in lemon juice on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 15
- Fill a large heatproof dish with boiling water, place the
noodles and soak for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened.
- Drain well and rinse with cold running water.
- Transfer to the serving bowl. Add the cucumber, bean sprouts and
chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix the dry-roasted Sichuan peppercorns, sea salt, chilli
flakes, black pepper and white pepper in a mortar and pestle or
spice grinder and grind to a fine powder.
- Transfer to a bowl with plain flour and rice. Mix well.
- Drain the squid and pat dry with paper towels.
- Fill a deep saucepan with about ⅓ oil. Heat to 180 C (350 F).
- Dip the squid pieces in the egg white then coat well in the
- Deep-fry the squid pieces for 1 minute until golden brown.
- Drain on crumpled paper towels and season with salt and black
pepper to taste.
- Add the dressing and shrimp mixture to the noodles and toss to
mix in a large bowl.
- Place the squid on top of the noodles, garnish with the
coriander leaves and serve.