Chinese Clear Soup with Pork Balls and Egg Noodles
||25 minutes + overnight refrigeration + 1 hour
||4 - 6
- 3 lb (5 oz) chicken bones, washed
- 150 g (5 ½ oz) Chinese cabbage (wom bok), shredded
- 300 g (10 ½ oz) minced (ground) pork
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cm (½ inch) thick ginger, about 2 slices
- 4 spring onions (scallions), white part only
- 200 g (7 oz) fresh fine egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 6 spring onions (scallions) sliced finely
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, light
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- ½ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped finely
- In a large saucepan place the bones and 14 cups of water to make
- Simmer but do not bring to boil.
- Cook for about 30 minutes and discard any scum that appears in
- Place the ginger, garlic and spring onion then cook, cover
partially and simmer for 3 hours over low heat.
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Discard the layer of fat that appears from the surface once it
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to boil and add the cabbage
for two minutes.
- Drain and squeeze out the excess oil, allow to cool.
- In a small frying pan, heat the peanut oil and 1 teaspoon of
- Cook the garlic and ginger for 1 minute or until brown.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic mixture, cabbage, pork,
white pepper, rice wine, soy sauce cornflour and half the coriander
and half the spring onion.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape 1 tablespoon of mixture into balls and make into 22 balls.
- In a wok, bring 6 cups of stock to a boil. Simmer for 1 - 2
minutes over medium heat.
- Place the pork balls and cook, covered for 8 - 10 minutes, or
until they rise to the top and are cooked well.
- In a large pan of boiling water, cook the noodles for 1 minute.
- Drain and rinse. Place into bowls and topped with balls.
- Garnish with the remaining spring onion, sesame oil and