Crispy Noodles (Mee Grob)
||30 minutes + 20 minutes soaking
||4 - 6
- 1 chicken breast fillet (about 200 g or 7 oz) sliced thinly
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) fried tofu, cut into matchsticks
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) dried vermicelli
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 8 diagonally sliced green beans
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- oil to deep-fry
- 8 peeled medium prawns
- ⅓ cup of bean sprouts
- 1 chopped onion
- 6 thinly sliced spring onions
- coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
For the sauce
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, light
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- For 20 minutes, soak the mushrooms in boiling water.
- Drain, remove the stems and slice the caps thinly.
- Fill a wok with ⅓ full of oil and heat to 180 C (350 F).
- For 5 seconds cook the vermicelli until puffed and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Allow the oil to cool and remove about 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- Reheat the wok until very hot. Add the onion and garlic and
stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, chicken slices, green beans and half the
spring onion. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the prawns and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- For the sauce mix the white vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce,
chilli sauce and sugar.
- Add the mixture to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Bring the wok off the heat and stir in tofu, vermicelli and bean
- Garnish with the remaining spring onion and coriander.