||30 minutes + 30 minutes soaking
- 400 g (14 oz) Hokkien egg noodles
- 400 g (14 oz) sliced, chicken thigh fillet
- 120 g (4 1/2 oz) trimmed green beans and cut into 5 cm (2 inch)
- 4 sliced stems of lemon grass (white part only)
- 4 cloves roughly chopped garlic
- 1 roughly chopped onion
- 2 long dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 10 fried tofu puffs, halved diagonally
- 3 tablespoons Malaysian curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 quartered hard-boiled eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups thick coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons crisp fried shallots
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- lime wedges, to serve
- In a bowl of water, soak the chillies for 30 minutes. Drain and
- Using a foil, wrap the shrimp paste and place on a hot grill for
1 - 2 minutes.
- In a bowl with boiling water, soak the noodles for 1 minute.
Rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- In a food processor, place the garlic, onion, ginger, lemon
grass chilli and shrimp paste. Blend well, add a little water if
- Over medium-high heat, heat 1 cup of coconut cream in a wok.
Heat and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and the paste. Cook for 5 minutes until
- Add the chicken and beans and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the tofu, stock, sugar, fish sauce and the remaining coconut
cream. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Place the noodles and bean sprouts into four serving bowls.
- Ladle the curry on top.
- Garnish with the boiled egg quarters and crisp fried shallots.
- Place the lime wedges and serve.