Eight Treasure Noodle Soup
||20 minutes + 20 minutes soaking
- 10 g (¼ oz) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 200 g (7 oz) chicken breast fillet cut into 1 cm (½ inch) strips on
- 375 g (13 oz) thick fresh egg noodles
- 200 g (7 oz) Chinese barbecued pork, cut into 5 mm (¼ inch) slices
- 120 g (4 ½ oz) snow peas (mangetout), cut in half on the diagonal
- 5 cups good quality chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 carrot, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) slices on the diagonal
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- ¼ onion, chopped finely
- In a heatproof bowl, place the shiitake mushrooms, pour with
boiling water and soak for 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain and squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Remove the woody stems and slice the caps thinly.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to the boil and cook the
noodles for 1 minute or until cooked well.
- Drain well and rinse with cold water.
- Place evenly into four serving bowls.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring the stock to the boil over
- Switch the heat from high to medium, add rice wine and soy
sauce. Stir thoroughly to mix.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Place the pork and chicken then cook for
another 2 minutes until chicken and pork is cooked well.
- Place the carrot, onion, snow peas, shiitake mushrooms and half
the spring onion.
- Cook for another 1 minute until carrot is soft.
- Place the vegetables and meat into serving bowls and ladle on
the hot broth.
- Garnish each bowl with the remaining spring onion.