Fish Ball and Noodle Soup
||4 - 6
- 1 lb (2 oz) white firm fish fillets, remove the bones and skin
- 200 g (7 oz) dried somen noodles
- 200 g (7 oz) Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, short unpeeled, seeded and thinly cut
into 5 cm (2 inch) strips.
- 2 ½ teaspoons dashi powder
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 Spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, light
- In a food processor, place the fish and process until well
- Mix the rice flour into ⅓ cup of water. Stirring until smooth.
- Add the fish and process for 5 seconds.
- Shape two teaspoons of mixture into balls with wet hands.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to the boil and cook the
somen noodles for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large saucepan bring 8 cups of water to the boil.
- Bring the heat to low add the dashi powder and stir until
- Pour the stock and bring it to the boil over high heat and add
soy sauce, mirin and salt to taste.
- Place the fish balls, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 3
minutes or until cooked well.
- Add the cabbage, bring the heat to high and boil.
- Place the noodles and cook for 1 minute, or until heated
- Place the noodles and fish balls into serving bowls. Ladle the
liquid on top and garnish with cucumber and spring onion.