Hot and Sour Soup with Noodles
||40 minutes + overnight refrigeration + 10 minutes
||4 hours 30 minutes
- 200 g (7 oz) chicken breast fillet, cut into 2 cm (¾ inch)
- ¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic and red chilli paste
For the Stock
- 4 spring onions (scallions), white part only
- 1 cm (½ inch) thick ginger, about 2 slices
- 1 kg (3 lb) chicken bones, washed
- In a large saucepan, place the bones and 14 cups of water.
Simmer but do not bring to boil.
- Cook for 30 minutes, discard any scum that appears on the
- Add the spring onion, ginger and cook over low heat. Cover
partially and simmer for 3 hours.
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Discard the layer of fat from the surface.
- In a large saucepan bring 8 cups of stock to the boil over high
heat to make the soup.
- Switch the heat to medium, place the chicken, chilli paste, soy
sauce and white pepper.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Add the vinegar, corn, mushrooms, noodles, wood fungus and tofu.
- Season with salt and simmer gently for 5 minutes - no stirring
- Mix the cornflour and ¼ cup of water. Stir into the soup
gently until thickened. Bring back to simmer.
- Stir in the egg over the surface in a very thin stream.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add sesame oil. Garnish with spring onion and serve.