Long and Short Noodle Soup
- 300 g (10 ½ oz) ground pork, minced
- 110 ml (3 ¾ fl oz) light soy sauce
- 200 g (7 oz) dried flat egg noodles
- 30 won ton wrappers
- 4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 spring onions (scallions), extra, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 12 cups ready-made Chinese chicken broth
- Combine the minced pork, garlic, ginger, spring onion, 1 ½
tablespoons of soy sauce, cornflour, 1 tablespoon of rice wine in a
blender and mix well until smooth.
- In the centre of a won ton wrapper, place 2 teaspoons of the
mixture and brush the edges lightly with water.
- Pull the sides up tightly and pinch around the filling to form a
- Continue with the remaining filling and wrappers to make a total
of 30 won tons.
- In a large saucepan, place the chicken broth and bring to a
simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour in the remaining soy sauce and rice wine.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, bring the water to boil. Reduce
the heat and add the won tons.
- Simmer for 1 minute until they float on the surface.
- Bring the water back to boil, add the egg noodles and cook for 3
minutes or until tender.
- Drain well and add to the chicken broth together with the cooked
won tons, simmering for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- In 6 serving bowls, divide the broth, noodles and won tons,
sprinkle with extra spring onion and drizzle each with a small
amount of sesame oil to taste.