Roast Duck with Shiitake Mushrooms and Flat Rice Noodle Broth
||25 minutes + 25 minutes soaking
||4 - 6
- 1 Chinese roast duck
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 400 g (14 oz) fresh flat rice noodles
- 400 g (14 oz) bok choy (pak choi) trimmed, discard the leaves
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce.
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 3 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- In a heatproof bowl, place the shiitake mushrooms, add 1 cup of
boiling water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain but set aside the liquid, squeeze the mushrooms to get the
- Remove the woody stems and slice the caps thinly.
- Remove the flesh and skin from the roast duck. Remove the fat
- Slice the duck meat and skin finely.
- In a saucepan place the chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, rice
wine and the reserved mushroom liquid.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl, place the rice noodles, add
boiling water and soak briefly.
- Drain thoroughly and separate the noodles with your hands and
place evenly in the large soup bowls.
- In a large wok, heat oil over high heat. Place the ginger,
spring onion and shiitake mushrooms.
- Cook the mixture for few seconds.
- Pour the mixture to the broth with bok choy and duck meat,
simmer for 1 minute until bok choy wilted ot until the duck has
- Ladle the soup over noodles and drizzle sesame oil on each