Sesame Tuna and Egg Noodle Salad
- 3 tuna steaks, about 550 g (19 oz) or ¾ kg (1 lb)
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) watercress, trimmed
- 300 g (10 ½ oz) fresh flat egg noodles
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- 2 small Lebanese (short) cucumbers, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 small red capsicum (pepper), seeded and thinly sliced
- peanut oil, to shallow-fry
- 1 ½ tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- ¼ cup kecap manis
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to the boil and cook the
noodles for 1 minute until tender.
- Drain well and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, place the noodles along with cucumber,
watercress, capsicum and coriander. Toss well.
- For the dressing, combine the Chinese rice wine and kecap manis
in a small bowl.
- Add the noodle mixture and toss until combined.
- In a sheet of baking paper, mix well the sesame seeds.
- Pat the tuna steaks dry using paper towels. Coat in the sesame
- Fill the large saucepan to 1.5 cm (3/8 inch) with peanut oil.
Heat to 180 C (350 F).
- Fry the tuna steaks for 1 - 2 minutes, drain on paper towels and
cut into 1.5 cm (3/8 inch) thick slices across the grain using a
- In four serving bowls, divide the noodle salad and place the
tuna strips on top.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.