- 275 g thinly sliced, fillet steak
- 175 g (6 oz) rice noodles, dried
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 thinly sliced red chilli, seeded
- 75 g (2.5 oz) bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
- 1 lime, sliced
- 6 thinly sliced spring onions
- fish sauce
For the broth
- 225 g (8 oz) shin beef, cut into large chunks
- 900 g (32 oz) beef marrow bones
- 1 beef stock cube
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 pieces coriander seeds
- 5 pods green cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 pieces cloves
- 3 cm (1 inch) unpeeled, fresh ginger
- 3 star anise
- Fill a large bowl with boiling water, soak the noodles for 5
minutes until firm. Drain and rinse.
- For the broth, fill a large saucepan with 900 ml (33 fl oz) of
water. Add the shin of beef and marrow bones and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat then add ginger and the remaining ingredients.
Simmer while removing any scum that appears on the surface.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, place the chilli, coriander
leaves, mint, fish sauce and lime wedges.
- Separate the noodles into 6 serving bowls.
- Bring back the broth to simmer, add the fillet steak and ladle
the slices on the sides. Cook for 5 - 10 second until meat is
- Pour the over noodles, sprinkle with spring onions and top with
- Add fish sauce for seasoning.