||30 minutes + 25 minutes
- 300 g (10 ½ oz) fillet steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 500 g (18 oz) Hokkien egg noodles
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 3 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 6 thin spring onions (scallions), cut into 3 cm (1
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, cut into 3 cm (1
¼ inch) pieces
- 1 thinly sliced carrot
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 5 cups of shredded Chinese cabbage
- 1 thinly sliced green capsicum
- nori sheets, finely julienned, to serve
- pickled ginger, finely julienned, to serve
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup Japanese soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- In a heatproof bowl with boiling water, soak the Chinese
mushroom for 20 minutes, until soft.
- Drain, squeeze out any excess liquid reserving 2 tablespoons of
- Remove the woody stems and slice the caps thinly.
- Meanwhile, place the fillet slices in a bowl with half the
ginger and half the garlic.
- For the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl with the
reserved mushroom liquid and the remaining ginger and garlic.
- In a heatproof bowl with boiling water, soak for 1 minute. Drain
- Over medium to high heat, heat a wok and cook the bacon for 2 -
- Transfer to a large bowl. Mix the sesame oils and the peanut.
- Increase the wok to high heat and add a little of oil mixture
and stir-fry the beef very quickly for 1 minute. Add to the bacon.
- Heat a little more oil mixture in the wok. Add the carrot,
spring onion and capsicum and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cabbage and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Stir-fry noodles for 1
- Bring the bacon, vegetables and beef to the wok, pour on the
sauce and stir-fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- In four deep bowls, divide the mixture and top with pickled
ginger and nori.